Barcelona is currently one of the most visited cities in Europe, just behind London and Paris! 😲
And as a tourist here, there are surprisingly many ways to enjoy this beautiful city without breaking the bank. 😩 💸
Here are 5 mostly free ways to sightsee around the city:
1. Visit a museum on a free day
- The National Art Museum of Catalonia has free admission on Saturday afternoons
- The Picasso Museum has free admission on Thursday evenings
- The MUHBA museum has free admission the first Sunday of the month
- The Maritime Museum has free admission on Sunday afternoons
- Palau Güell has free admission the first Sunday of each month (the rooftop was closed during my visit due to rain)
2. Check the city’s event calendar for free entertainment
3. Take a stroll around the eclectic urban neighborhoods
Each neighborhood has its own mix of unique art and architecture, something that is best appreciated on foot. 👣 📷
If you don’t want to walk alone, I suggest taking a free walking tour of the city! (tips appreciated) 😀
- Runnerbean Tours has an incredibly comprehensive free walking tour to the sites constructed by Antoni Gaudí
- Free Walking Tours Barcelona offers a nice intro to the city, with their free walking tour of the Gothic Quarter
Side note: If you want to see photos from my other neighborhood walks, check out this post here. 😀
4. Take in some stellar scenic views 😍
- One of the best views can be found from the top of Montjuïc Castle.
- Another great vantage point is from within El Jardín Botánico.
Side note: Bunkers of Caramel also has a nice viewpoint, which you can check out in my older post here.
5. Grab yourself a drink and soak up the European vibes
Hey, it may not be free, but it’s darn cheap, arguably less than a water, and since Spaniards love to relax and enjoy life, it’s one of the best ways to enjoy the city like a local! 🍷 ☺️
Now, this is just a small handful of fun and free things to do in the city, with countless more to discover. The point I’m trying to make is that Barcelona is a beautiful city, and one that can be visited on any budget! 😉 Hope you enjoyed this post! ¡Hasta luego! ¡Chao! 👋 🇪🇸